Updated: Jan 7
Just in time for Christmas this roast hasselback pumpkin is both visually pleasing and super tasty. So much flavour you can squeeze in between each of the crevasses, making every bite delicious. Depending on your knife skills you can go even thinner than my version. Hot tip - when cutting place two chopsticks either side of the pumpkin to stop the knife cutting all the way through.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
half a pumpkin of your choice
handful of fresh dill (or 2 tablespoons of dried dill)
1 bunch of fresh thyme
pumpkin seeds (optional for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Cut the hasselback into the pumpkin using a good quality knife - make sure you stop about 1cm away from the bottom
3. Finely chop the dill and remove the thyme leaves from the woody sticks
4. Place the pumpkin in a roasting dish
5. Drizzle the pumpkin with olive oil and sprinkle on a pinch of salt
6. Using your hands rub the herbs, oil and salt all over the top of the pumpkin, pushing as much of the herbs as poss into the cuts.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until your pumpkin is slightly browned and soft. The cuts will begin to open up as the pumpkin cooks. For extra flavour baste the pumpkin every 20 mins with the liquid that collects in the backing dish.
8. Serve pumpkin with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds or whatever seeds you have in your cupboard.
Some thoughts - I tend to leave the skin on mainly because I am lazy, but honestly it cooks down and is very soft and easy to eat, plus you waste less. If you want you can peel the skin off at the start. You can also play around with the herbs. Sage and lemon zest works really well. Topping with mint and fetta rather than cooking them through is also delish.
My Kitchen Essentials
Kitchen Aid Food Processor - https://amzn.to/2unzfOQ
Vitamix Blender - https://amzn.to/39PSLny
Cast iron skillet - https://amzn.to/2QReO4u
Japanese Chefs Knife - https://amzn.to/37J1sxX
Baking Sheet Tray - https://amzn.to/37Ocq5A
Silicon Baking Mat - https://amzn.to/39MPCVt
Glass Storage Containers - https://amzn.to/2QVWUgX
About the Author
Chloe is a university trained Naturopath based in Sydney, Australia specialising in skin and reproductive health. She is also a self confessed skincare junkie and is always trying or researching new and emerging products to recommend to her clients during the healing process. She has a passion for empowering her client to regain control over their health to help bring back their best self. Her approach focuses on incorporating a nutritious diet and lifestyle changes along with nutritional and herbal medicine. To book an appointment with Chloe in Sydney click here.