Thyme & Sea Salt Cashew Cheese
Updated: Jan 7
Lets be honest - there's no denying nothing beats the real thing but this vegan option comes pretty close. It definitely has a seat at the table - especially for those suffering from inflammatory conditions trying to lower their dairy intake. I've played around with cashew cheese a few times and I think I prefer it slightly baked - it just seems more cheesy.
This recipe requires an overnight soaking of cashews. You could probably get away with soaking them for a couple of hours in warm water but overnight makes it much more creamy. Play around with the seasonings - sage, dill and rosemary all work a treat! Use what you have at home.
THINGS YOU'LL NEED:
1 cup cashews (soaked over night)
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (you can sub this out for Vegemite if you don't have it - start with 1 teaspoon and add more depending on your preferred taste - this is what gives it that cheesy taste)
2 teaspoons of mustard (dijon)
1 pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
water as needed
1. Preheat oven to 100 degrees fan forced
2. Into a food processor add cashews, nutritional yeast (or Vegemite), mustard, sea salt and olive oil
3. Blitz until it forms a loose looking paste - if it need more liquid add small amounts of water bit by bit to ring ti together. A couple of teaspoons at a time
4. Once fully combined and smooth, scoop out onto a lined baking tray. Form it into a brie like ball or whatever shape your heart desires.
5. Remove thyme leaves from the stem and gently press into the cheese until you have covered most of the surface area
6. Sprinkle with sea salt
7. Place the cheese in the oven for 40 minutes - 1 hour. When done it should be a golden brown colour and still soft to the touch
8. Enjoy with a glass of prosecco and some salty rice crackers! YUM
My Kitchen Essentials
Kitchen Aid Food Processor - https://amzn.to/2unzfOQ
Vitamix Blender - https://amzn.to/39PSLny
Cast iron skillet - https://amzn.to/2QReO4u
Japanese Chefs Knife - https://amzn.to/37J1sxX
Baking Sheet Tray - https://amzn.to/37Ocq5A
Silicon Baking Mat - https://amzn.to/39MPCVt
Glass Storage Containers - https://amzn.to/2QVWUgX
About the Author
Chloe is a Sydney based Naturopath practicing in the Inner West as well as the wider online community. She has a passion for empowering her client to regain control over their health to help bring back their best self. Her specialties include skin and reproductive health. Her approach focuses on incorporating a nutritious diet and lifestyle changes along with nutritional and herbal medicine.
To get yourself feeling your best again book an appointment with Chloe click here.