Updated: Jan 7
- 1 x Wombok Cabbage
- Korean Chilli Powder (gochugaru)
- 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 Anchovies
- 3 radishes
- 4cm ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup salt (not iodised)
- Fermentation airlock
- Fermentation grade jars
1. Cut wombok into quarters leaving core attached so the leave are still attached at the bottom
2. place in a large bowl and salt in between each leaf - it will seem like a lot of salt but keep at it.
3. Massage the cabbage leaves every 20 minutes for 2 hours in total - give them some lovin'
4. Whilst the cabbage is relaxing from its massage. Make a paste using the gochugaru, ginger, garlic, anchovies and fish sauce (the fish sauce and anchovies can be left out). Depending on your affinity for spicy add more or less of the gochugaru. This is your Kimchi so you do you!
5. Rise the cabbage and press all the water out.
6. Core out the cabbage and combine in a big bowl with the paste, spring onions and radish.
7. Mix everything in, making sure all the cabbage is covered. Hands work well here but if you're sensitive - wear gloves!
8. Jar up your kimchi in fermentation grade jars (we are working with a live product here!) leaving 3cm in the top. Applying a fermentation valve or nifty fermenting nipple looking things will safe guard your kitchen from any kimchi explosions. If you're just jarring them up without these things be sure to 'burp' your kimchi daily.
9. Leave for 5 days to ferment. You can try it each day until it tastes just how you
My Kitchen Essentials
Kitchen Aid Food Processor - https://amzn.to/2unzfOQ
Vitamix Blender - https://amzn.to/39PSLny
Cast iron skillet - https://amzn.to/2QReO4u
Japanese Chefs Knife - https://amzn.to/37J1sxX
Baking Sheet Tray - https://amzn.to/37Ocq5A
Silicon Baking Mat - https://amzn.to/39MPCVt
Glass Storage Containers - https://amzn.to/2QVWUgX
About the Author
Chloe is a Naturopath practicing in Sydney's Inner West. She has a passion for gut health and loves helping her clients regain control over their health. Her approach focuses on incorporating a nutritious diet and lifestyle changes along with nutritional and herbal medicine.